New Teachers join Lakeview Staff

Sydney Whipkey, Reporter

The 2018-2019 school year has already brought many new factors into the building that are working to make our school a better enviroment for everyone. Included in this, we have two new teachers joining the Lakeview staff, Zach Brown and Elisabeth Miller.

New Lakeview biology and physical science teacher, Zach Brown attended the University of Akron. Although this is the first time we’ve seen him, this is not his first teaching experience. Previously he taught at West Holmes.

Brown decided he wanted to become a teacher when he was a math tutor in college to make a few extra dollars. He enjoyed helping people understand the things he was helping them with and that’s what helped his decision become concrete about teaching.

Brown said he isn’t picky on the grades he teaches in the high school, although currently he is teaching the freshman and a few sophomore classes.

When asked if he plans to stay a teacher at Lakeview in the future, he replied, ¨Absolutely, I love it here.¨ He also mentioned that he loves ¨the culture and everything we have going on here.¨

Brown is also a new football coach here at Lakeview. He helps with the defensive backs and quarterback. He coached football previously while he was teaching at West Holmes, as well as coaching seventh grade girls basketball.

Brown himself played football up into his freshman year, as a quarterback for Canfield. We asked Brown if he had any words of encouragement for our struggling team this season, and he replied, ¨We just need to believe in ourselves…we have the talent, we just have to believe.¨

Also new to Lakeview, 9th and 10th grade English teacher Elisabeth Miller graduated from YSU in 2009 with a degree in English. Then, in 2012 she graduated from YSU with her Bachelors of Science in Education and her Masters degree in English. She taught at Boardman for six years prior to coming to Lakeview.

For as long as Miller has known she wanted to be a teacher, she has wanted to teach English. When she first attended college she went into radiology, but she says, ¨I learned very quickly that wasn´t a good fit for me.¨

Miller has two children, Eliana who is three and a half, and Bryce who is one and a half. She spends a lot of her time taking care of them and spending as much time with them as she can. She says she enjoys family walks, watching her favorite TV shows, going to see a movie when she has the chance, and reading books.