After 29 years, Mr. Gysegem Retires from Lakeview

Athena Anastasiadis, Reporter

Longtime middle school teacher David Gysegem is retiring this year after teaching for a total of 29 years. Gysegem taught at Stow and Canfield before teaching at Lakeview for 27 years.

While over the years he has seen thousands of students, Gysegem says the students themselves have not changed much since he started teaching. However, he has experienced changes in other areas of education. Inside the classroom, the reliance on technology has made learning different for both teachers and students. Outside the classroom, parenting styles have definitely changed over the years and changing acceptable social norms have made the job of teaching much different than when Gysegem first started.

A man of many educational talents, throughout his long career Gysegem has taught 2nd, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th grades at Lakeview as well as PE!

Gysegem has plans to enjoy his retirement, but said he will still spend some time working, “I plan to work part time as a lifeguard and at The Hartford Hill Winery. My wife Lisa is also retiring this year, and we plan to travel – especially to North Carolina as both our daughters and son-in-law are living there.”

Gysegem has been an excellent teacher in the Lakeview district for many years. I had the joy of having him as both my 6th and 7th grade Language Arts teacher, and I can attest that he will definitely be missed!