Entrepreneurship Class Hosts First Cortland Pizza Challenge

Brandon Hatfield, Reporter

Cortland’s very first Pizza Challenge will be held Tuesday, October 29th from 5PM to 7PM in Lakeview’s K-8 cafeteria. This exciting new event is being held as a fundraiser for and by the Lakeview Entrepreneur class under the guidance of teacher Anne-Marie Koch.

The class is hoping the community will come out in full force of the Entrepreneur course now in its second year at Lakeview.

Koch stated, “Our expectancy of the event is 250-300 people.”

That 300 mark is the limit for ticket sales, so buy your tickets early.

Tickets to the Pizza Challenge will be for sale at the cost of $10 per person, which includes 3 slices of your choice of pizza and a beverage. Tickets will be sold at lunch in the high school, at the Lakeview Bulldogs home football games on Friday, October 18 & 25th, and at the Cortland Eats event on Saturday, October 19th.

The Cortland pizzerias participating are: Belleria, Coccas, Pizza Joes’, Vasilios, Auntie V’s, and Brothers. They will be competing in the following categories: Best overall pizza, best dessert pizza, best specialty pizza, and best sauce.

While the Entrepreneurship course is not currently a part of the regular CCP course schedule, students who pass a test at the end of the year can still earn that credit but for a fee. One of the uses for proceeds from fundraisers will be to help defray that cost.

Junior Hunter Miller, entrepreneurship student, expressed, “The Pizza Challenge is a great way to raise money for the entrepreneurship club, since it is going to help give students the ability to take the class for college credit. Right now, if students pass the test to get the college credit, they would have to pay $100.”

As well as a fun, tasty, and worthwhile event, the Pizza Challenge provides a time when community members can interact with entrepreneurial minded high school students.

Senior Ethan Toot of the entrepreneur class stated, “I think the Pizza Challenge is a great way to raise funds and as well provide a fun community event to the city of Cortland.”