Lakeview Student Reports Her Way To A Dream Opportunity

Alivia Oravec, Reporter

First year reporter for the Bulldog Bulletin, Junior Abbey Leonard has been chosen to be an on-staff student reporter for The Cortland News “Good News Newspaper”.

Leonard hopes to further her career in journalism after high school and hopes to one day be a reporter. She has written and edited several articles for the school newspaper just in her short time on staff so far this year. She also makes it a priority to always make herself available to help other members of the newspaper staff with their individual articles. 

For her new job at The Cortland News she will mainly cover stories about the school district, focusing on all three schools rather than just the high school. 

Leonard was recommended for the job by newspaper and yearbook adviser, Angela Sarko.

Abbey is the type of student every adviser hopes will walk through the door,” said Sarko. “She’s has a great grasp of how to write a news article, she’s not afraid to approach people for an interview, and she’s willing to chase the story.”

Leonard said, “Mrs. Sarko is one of my biggest supporters and always makes it a point to answer all my questions.”

This extra work will not get in the way of her writing for the school newspaper. 

Leonard said, “I will continue to publish all that I can in not only the school newspaper but try to get as much of the school’s news into the Cortland newspaper.” 

In addition to being a reporter, Leonard is also a junior varsity cheerleader and a varsity tennis player. During school hours Leonard is an office aid at the school and volunteers her time to students with disabilities, helping with their recycling program on Wednesdays. 

Leonard prides herself on making a unique connection with each of these students, making a priority to always stop and have a quick chat when passing in the hall. 

Leonard likes to stay busy. In addition to her many activities, she holds a part time job at the Elm Road Subway where she is a main closer.

Leonard is proud of her successes saying, “Junior year has been so great so far and I am so lucky to have so many people who support me in these next steps of my life. My love of writing sparked from my love of football which was the topic of my first article and I haven’t been able to stop writing since!” 

Congratulations Abbey, all of us at Lakeview wish you the best of luck!