Students Share Tips on How to Stay Safe On the Road This Winter

Isabella Kakiou, Newspaper Editor

With winter right around the corner it is important to prepare for the harsh road conditions that come along with it. Reports have shown that there will be extreme fluctuations, snow, and rain storms for the 2019-2020 winter.

Senior, Demetrios Kakiou, shares ¨I always check the weather in the winter to know when bad weather is expected, that way I can be prepared and wake up earlier for school if needed.¨

It is a good idea to be prepared and check the weather before going out, and also notify others and let them know your route.

Senior, Megan Cross, exaggerates ¨It is about to be Tokyo drift in the Lakeview High School parking lot.¨

Cross jokes, as she was a former victim of slipping and falling after getting out of her car on the thin sheet of ice that commonly covers the Junior/Senior parking lot. Cross has emphasized that it is important to continuously be alert of the ice, even when outside of the vehicle!

Another wise Senior, Madison Harvey, explains ¨I always make sure to have a blanket and winter coat in my car because you never know what is going to happen.¨

Harvey is right, it is always better to be safe than sorry. You are always at risk for breaking down, sliding off the road, or getting in an accident.

Senior Lyndsey Saxton elaborates on a few tips for driving in the cold, ¨I always make sure that my tires are properly inflated and that I have plenty of tread. I also make sure to never use cruise control on any slippery surface, like ice or snow

Saxton makes strong points, as it is also important to accelerate and decelerate slowly on those slippery surfaces.

Senior, Sebastian Nutter, says ¨I always make sure to increase my following distance like five to six seconds

Nutter is correct, the increased margin of safety will provide the longer distance needed if you have to stop.

Lastly, Senior Isaac Russo shares tips on what to do if you get stuck in the snow, ¨You should stay in your vehicle if you are able to, make yourself visible, make sure your exhaust pipe is clear, and stay warm.¨

It is vital to check your exhaust pipe when stuck in snow because if the pipe is clogged with snow it can leak deadly carbon monoxide gas into the passenger compartment of the vehicle if the engine is still running.

Freezing, frigid, and frosty are the exact terms that can be used to describe the upcoming season. Use these tips and stay safe out there!