Senioritis Isn’t the Only Illness Impacting Seniors This Year

Coronavirus & No Motivation for School is a Scary Combination.

Summer band camp essentials: sunglasses, leis, and masks.

Alexandra Bell, Reporter

Between mask mandates, social distancing guidelines, and hybrid learning schedules, it’s hard to remember what a traditional school year is supposed to look like. Especially for seniors, whose last year of high school is becoming increasingly difficult to cherish as the incessant coronavirus continues to wreak havoc upon normal life. Despite these unforeseen circumstances, Lakeview seniors are trying their best to enjoy what little time they have left in school, all while creating new ways to adapt to an ever-changing world.

Fall sports in particular have been affected by the new rules set in place by schools to ensure athletes’ safety.

Senior Abbey Leonard, a member of the girls’ tennis team, claims these instructions have changed her last season completely. She shared, “my last season of tennis has meant distance from my teammates and masks even on the bus…Though our parents are allowed to come, they wear masks and aren’t allowed to come near us.”

Leonard, doing her best to keep positive, claimed she “imagined my senior season in a different light but am trying to make the best of it for everyone.

The coronavirus has also altered sports on Lakeviews’ own turf. Goalie of the girls’ soccer team senior Caitlin Kachurick offers insight into what has changed on the field this year. “We didn’t have any idea of what to do because we couldn’t have scrimmages [as] coaches wanted to keep us as safe as possible leading up to the season.

Kachurik adds that she “speaks for all the seniors that it is hard knowing we could be potentially playing our last game because nothing is guaranteed during these times.”

Center Defender senior Alexa Dorma shares how soccer has changed for her since these changes were made. “I still find joy playing with my team,” due to how she plays with “positive girls who can find the good in just about every situation!

Dorma also clarifies that “connecting with my teammates [has been hard] due to COVID, but we still have great chemistry on and off the field.” Despite team bonding activities being temporarily suspended, Lakeview’s soccer team has managed to maintain great relationships with one another and unite together in the face of adversity – something that no other game could have prepared them for.

This pandemic has also impacted other extracurricular activities, including the musical group behind the infectious spirit of every football game.

Kachurick, also part of the marching band, confides that it has taken a new direction since COVID protocols were established. She claims that “band camp being at home [this summer] and not getting the full experience made it much harder for us to focus.” Additionally, she says the entire band “received new uniforms that we personally keep so we are safe and not spreading germs.” As far as how they perform, Kachurick explains “we have done virtual performances, which is sad because we don’t get a live audience or see other bands and their shows.”

Allison Mark, another proud member of Lakeview’s band, weighs in on what the hardest changes to accept were. “I guess the biggest change is being okay with all of it.” Specifically, she has come to normalize “[not] seeing my friends at school or having a Friday night football game with concession stands…it’s very draining.” Like so many other seniors this year, Mark is “grateful for everyone trying to make it normal [but] I just hate that I took last year for granted.

Even the cheerleading squad is finding it hard to use their exuberant chants and choreographed jumps to excite crowds at football games.

Compared to past practices and Friday night routines, both the junior varsity and varsity squads don’t feel the same enthusiasm towards their sport anymore.

Senior Marianna Franco, who cheers for the varsity team, says “COVID has definitely changed our season this year.” Still able to cheer alongside her friends, Franco explains she is still enjoying her senior season but it’s “sad that there are only six games and no pep rallies this year.” With less opportunity to participate in the activity she loves, Franco, along with all other senior athletes this year, will have to act as if every game is truly her last.

Finding a balance between personal and school agendas has become a nearly impossible task with the added stress of the hybrid learning schedule, even without accommodating to change within extracurricular activities.

Maria Fiest shares what it’s like to be a student who has fallen ill to senioritis. “I think it is quite hard to find the motivation for school work…We have so much to worry about [this year].” When asked about how she is persevering through so many challenges, Fiest grants this piece of advice: “So far I have been looking at the bigger picture, which is finally graduating, to push through all the stress.” She continues, saying “hopefully our class as a whole can find more motivation soon so we all have a successful senior year.

The bizarre circumstances of this year will hardly go unnoticed by doctors and political figures in the years to come. But for us seniors, who are living through this pandemic with our futures on the line, one thing is for certain: we will have to find ways to truly make this the best year possible, even with two strange illnesses plaguing us.

Social distancing on and off the field.