Volleyball Celebrates The End of a Great Season

Tara Lytle, Writer and Reporter

After a long successful season the Lady Bulldogs had, the banquet closed out the season. The Lady Bulldogs banquet was held at Dilucia’s Banquet Center on November 4th, and a lot of awards and speeches were given.

During the season many players worked very hard to be able to get the awards they received at the banquet, with freshmen Mallory Mailach and Reagan Price receiving the “Blue Jersey” award. This award was very much earned by each of those girls and they deserved this award. 

Junior Sydney Peterson received the “Bulldog” award, also very well deserved. This award was given to Peterson because she is a very good teammate and she always has a smile on her face. Peterson always has a good attitude no matter what, and she will always deserve this award.

Along with that, this was senior Carly Hawn’s last banquet she will ever attend. Hawn was a 4 year letter winner and she also had given a speech thanking all of her coaches and teammates for everything throughout the past 4 years. Hawn also willed her number 14 jersey to Freshman Addison Allen and she had also given the back of the bus seats to Juniors Brooke Schneider and Madison Bayus.

Along with those things being willed, Hawn gave Peterson the cheer “Paws up for positivity”.

Allen  reviews the banquet and her thoughts on the last get together the team has saying, “I thought it was sweet how we got to have one more time together before the season was over and I also thought the speeches were very inspirational.”

Hawn, our only volleyball senior gave thought on her last banquet, “It was a great way to close out my last season. It was sad willing my things away, but I’m happy for the girls and excited to see where they go in coming years.”

To end the night the coaches, Heather Guthrie, Alaina Lytle, and Nate Mailach all gave their end of season speeches.

Guthrie, the head coach, said, “I am very proud of all of you girls for overcoming adversity and accepting the year that was thrown at us. All of you have improved tremendously. Remember, you can only get better from here.” 

Lytle was the next speaker at this banquet, “I would like to thank all of you girls for the past four seasons and making my coaching experience memorable. You all will be dearly missed and I will forever be proud of how hard you girls work and the love you have for volleyball.”

Mailach was our last speaker, “I’m very proud of the girls this year and I am very excited to see what the future holds for this team. Thank you all for welcoming me for my first year.”

Mailach also gave a recap of the whole season. “We got off to a bumpy start losing our first two games, but we regrouped and finished the season winning 19 out of our last 20 games before losing a heartbreaker to Girard in the district semi-final. The team consisted of experienced upperclassmen and inexperienced talented freshman. Junior, Tara Lytle was the team leader in kills, which led her to being selected third team All-Ohio. Lytle, along with assist leader, Maggie Pavlansky, will both return next season looking to lead the team further in the playoffs and compete for the Northeast 8 conference championship. Overall, the banquet closed out our well done season and I am very excited for what next year holds.”

The volleyball girls will return next year ready and excited to play. The banquet was wonderful and the Lady Bulldogs will continue to make our school proud and succeed in the sport.