NHS Inducts New Members

Erica Giesey, Reporter

The National Honor Society was very excited to welcome its newest members. The application process was a very long process as students had one opportunity to show why they should be in NHS. When having the right GPA juniors and seniors can could apply for a spot in the National Honors Society. In their application folder, they need a letter of recommendation, resume, and a detailed paper on why it was important for them to be in NHS. 

A few weeks before the induction ceremony, NHS returning senior members did a tapping of new members. During 7th period, the newest members were given a rose as a congratulation on being selected. 

Last year looked very different for the NHS inductees as we were dealing with covid. Kari Milliron, NHS adviser, explains how it was a little different than last year: “I think this year’s induction ceremony went very well! It was so nice to have a more “normal” ceremony this year.  We were able to invite all of our current and new NHS members, as well as families and the student body. Last year, we were only able to have new members and 2 parents per student in attendance. We offered Zoom for everyone else. We were also able to have a reception afterward to celebrate with the new members, which didn’t happen last year. In general, it was nice to offer the grandeur and celebration that our new NHS members deserve.”

On Novermber 23, during 6th period, 40 LHS students got inducted into the NHS. To kick off our Thanksgiving break we had an assembly of 10th, 11th, and 12th grade students and welcomed parents to join the induction of the new members. It was very nice to have all of our parents and guardians attend this very special moment for the hard-working students. 

Milliron also gave some insight on what new members can expect this year: “This year, we’re going to try to launch a peer tutoring program in collaboration with the LHS Guidance Department. We would like to see our NHS members — some of our best and brightest students! — assisting underclassmen to find success in their core subject areas.  This will be a work in progress, and we’ll probably start small. But I think it can be a really great opportunity for ALL of our students!”

Junior Tara Lytle says, “I feel so honored to be induction into NHS and I am excited to see what opportunities come my way.” 

It was very nice for our sophomores to attend that way they were able to experience what induction was like. This was a way to inspire them to hopefully join the National Honors Society and strive for greatness this school year in hopes to become a member.

Milliron said, “Next year’s applicants need to have a GPA of 3.2 or higher.  But what’s even more important is the student’s ability to demonstrate NHS’s 4 pillars in their everyday lives.  The 4 pillars are scholarship, service, leadership, and character.  All of the teachers contribute to the selection process based upon these pillars.  So if you’re not trying your best in class, or are unkind to other students, or can’t take criticism, that will negatively reflect in the selection process. Make sure that you’re doing your best, looking for ways to help others, and to grow yourself. Make sure that you are responsible and kind. These things really make a difference.”

To wrap up this event, cake and drinks were provided to all the families who attended. This was a great way to make the students feel special and a great kickoff to the Thanksgiving break. Congratulations to all of the students who got inducted.