Baseball Season is in Full Swing

Nate Fox, Reporter

The weather is beginning to clear up and the days are becoming longer, meaning the start of spring sports here at Lakeview. This includes our very own baseball team. The Bulldogs’ baseball program has been taken over by first year head coach, and high school social studies teacher, Cameron Carson. The Bulldogs key players include Seniors Gavin Mauger, Jake Wilms, Cal Rinck, Anthony Caruso, Blaine Barr, and Nate Fox. Also on the team are Juniors Tyler Capan, Andrew McRoberts, and Alex Stowe. Rounding out a great lineup are Sophomore Andrew Brown and Freshman Jason DeMonica.

There’s no doubt that the upperclassmen are excited to get this season underway given the maturity and experience the team has.

I asked Senior Gavin Mauger about his feelings  on the upcoming season. He said “I am excited to get this season going. We have plenty of guys that have lots of experience on the field, so we’re expecting to have a good season. I can’t wait to get after it with these guys.”

Mauger has played key varsity time throughout his years on the baseball team and he’s looking to go out on a good note.

The NE8 is always a competitive conference when it comes to baseball. There are many powerhouses that consistently sit at the top of the rankings. The Bulldogs are looking to chase those powerhouses and solidify themselves as one of the better teams in the conference as well as build a culture within the program.

Junior Tyler Capan says, “The Seniors we have are all great leaders and with how many people we have as part of the program this year is definitely going to help. I think we can turn this program around behind the numbers and experience we have.” As a big part of the team, Capan is hoping to help flip the program around.

The Bulldogs play a quite loaded non-conference schedule this year and that will definitely play a big part in getting them ready for the postseason and also get them ready for the powerhouses within the conference.

Senior Jake Wilms says, “Our non-conference schedule is going to be great for us this year. I think it will be a real test of how good we truly are and I’m excited to get this season underway and see what we can do on the diamond.”

The Bulldogs opened their season on March 30th and 31st against Struthers. If the weather cooperates, they are expected to play at home vs Champion on Friday, April 1st. Due to the unexpected weather during the early weeks of the season, the Bulldogs can expect a few cancellations and/or postpones. However, they will be ready for whoever steps in their way this season. You can find the Bulldogs schedule on the school website. As well as team/schedule updates on their Twitter and Instagram pages: @Lakeview_BaseB. Go Dogs!