Lakeview Seniors Reflect on their Sports Careers

Evan Davies, Reporter

With only one spring sports season left for the graduating class of 2022, many athletes will conclude their athletic careers at the end of the school year. When looking back at the memories and accomplishments that these student-athletes have achieved, it is clear that each individual involved played a massive role in the success of their team. Our class of 2022 student-athletes displayed hard work, perseverance, leadership, grit, and determination throughout their four year athletic careers.

One individual in particular that represents each of these qualities is senior Gavin Mauger. Mauger is a 4 year letter winner in football, 3 year letter winner in baseball, and member of the basketball team. Unlike many of our student-athletes, Mauger’s athletic career will not end at Lakeview. He has recently committed to the Grove City College football program.

When reflecting on his time with the football team, Mauger said, “I am excited to continue my football career at Grove City, but the memories I made on Friday nights with some of my best friends will always hold a special place in my heart.”

On the football team, Mauger was named a captain his senior season and was a recipient of the Mr. Touchdown award his sophomore season. 

Another student-athlete that represents these qualities well is senior Carly Hawn. Throughout her time at Lakeview, Hawn was a 4-year letter winner on the volleyball team. Her senior season she was elected captain as the only senior to finish out her career.

Hawn reflects,  “Although I couldn’t share these memories with too many of my classmates, I am grateful for the underclassmen and upperclassmen that I did share them with.”

During Carly’s senior season, the bulldogs fell in the semi-finals vs the Girard Indians.

Finally, another one of our student athletes that exemplifies the qualities that all student-athletes should strive for is senior Teagan Pierce. Throughout the majority of her high school career, Pierce was a three sport athlete. She was a 2 year letter winner in volleyball, a 4 year letter winner in basketball, a 1 year letter winner in golf, and a 3 year letter winner in track and field. In Pierce’s case, her track and field career will not end in Don Richards Memorial Stadium. She is committed to Thiel College to continue her career.

Pierce says, “I am proud of the athletic achievements I have made during my career at Lakeview and the position they have put me in for the future. I will miss the other sports I was involved in, but I am excited for my future at Thiel! “

2022’s graduating class of student athletes will be remembered for their hard work, determination, and commitment to their teams. The individuals listed above are only a small portion of the athletes that represent Lakeview’s standards, but they represent them well. The precedent these seniors have set throughout their time as a bulldog will serve the underclassmen for years to come.