Cal Set To Hit the Rinck at Akron

Evan Davies, Reporter

Senior Cal Rinck, a stellar student and athlete at Lakeview High School, will be taking his talents to the University of Akron to play hockey.

At Lakeview Rinck was a two sport athlete in baseball and golf. He lettered all four years of his baseball career. His hockey career was played out on the ice of the Kent Cyclones, where he was a standout player. Over his years playing for Kent, he would develop friendships and memories that will last a lifetime.

Rinck says, “I’m gonna miss the practices and overnight trips and tournaments the most from high school hockey if I had to guess.”

One of his most proud accomplishments in high school was playing for the Lake Erie Bighorns, a semi-pro team. On this team, Rinck competed with kids as old as 21.

When asked how that impacted his high school experience, Rinck admitted, “Yes sir, that’s my biggest accomplishment from high school I’d say.”

Although he will miss each of his former teammates and coaches, Rinck is excited for what his future at Akron will hold, including the new relationships he will form and new friends he will meet.

He says, “I’m super excited for the brotherhood of college hockey and being able to continue to play the sport I love.” 

Aside from the excitement of continuing his career, Rinck is ready to travel and compete against some of the best talent he’s faced so far. 

When looking back at the team’s past schedule, Rinck informed me, “This past season, they played against teams like Kent State, Central Michigan, Air Force, Dayton, Mercyhurst, Denison, Adrian College, and Purdue Northwest. So we’ll be going all over the place playing against some really good talent and I’m stoked to see what these next few years have to offer and I’m truly blessed to have this opportunity.”

As Rinck continues his career as a collegiate athlete, we wish him continued success and the best of luck going forward. Congratulations Cal!