Crazy Days are Over: A Start to a New Normal at Lakeview High School

Lola English and Sydney Poptic

The 2022-2023 school year is finally here! It’s been just over 3 weeks back and everyone is starting to adjust. We kicked off the year with our first football win in over 2 years with the score being 34-7! We came back to no covid restrictions as this is our first normal year back after covid hit. Principal Lawrence Herrholtz spoke about the kids coming back to school saying, “I’m always excited about kids coming back to the school. As an educator this is our profession, this is what we look forward to.” 

We started off with launch day on August 18th, 2022 where everyone got their schedules and got to walk around and get familiar with the classrooms they’ll be in and what teachers they have! There was an activity fair where different sports and clubs set up small tables to advertise what is available to new and returning students. Students got to see their favorite teachers and started to get back into the school feeling. 

School officially started on August 22nd, 2022. Second-year teacher and coach Cameron Carson spoke about how he was excited to get back to school this year saying, “At the end of summer, everyone has that feeling about dreading coming back to school, but once we got here it was nice to get back into a routine and have constant interactions with others.”

We also asked Carson how he thought breaking the 2 year losing streak by winning the season opener set the mood for the school year to which he replied: “I think it generated a lot of excitement, not only for the team but for the student body as a whole. Usually, when the football team is good the community and student body tend to rally behind the team which is good for school spirit.”

To also add to the school spirit the seniors are getting back to normal and are able to hold their senior sunrise at the beginning of school year once again which will take place on September 16th, 2022. This is the beginning of the end of the senior year for the class of 2023 and there are a lot of mixed emotions going around!

Officer Brandon Rice said, “I was glad to come back to school because it’s a change of pace from working patrol and there are a lot of positive interactions with the staff and students during the school day.

The new 2022 school year administration decided to switch the upperclassmen lot (Walmart lot) to where the teachers park. Student Caitlin Mark said, “I did enjoy parking on the old lot because I got to park wherever I wanted and it was much easier to get in and out of, but I do like being closer to the door.”

The old lot was a very social lot and a place where many people came together while going home, or coming back for class. Although students aren’t  thrilled to be parking in the front, it has been addressed that coming through the main doors is safer for everyone. Students would put things in between the door before they would leave and the door would be cracked for anyone to walk in.

Everyone looks forward to lunch time, and this year school lunches are no longer free. We were fortunate enough the past two years to have access to the free lunches due to covid. If you want a school lunch everyday it will now cost you $3.50 for lunch and $2.00 for breakfast. 

Everyone is ready to take on the new 2022 school year with the new changes made and get back on a routine!