Lakeview Debates Over Favorite Christmas Movie

Gianna Caruso, Reporter

With the holiday season here, it’s time to pop some popcorn and gather our favorite Christmas movies.

So what will the students of Lakeview be watching during the Christmas break?

The movie with the most votes was Home AloneHome Alone was released in 1990 and is a movie about eight-year-old troublemaker Kevin,  who must protect his house from a pair of burglars when he is accidentally left home alone by his family during Christmas vacation. Macaulay Culkin was the lead in the movie and played Kevin McCallister. 

Sophomore Carson Conrad said, “My favorite Christmas movie would have to be Home Alone. I like it because I think I looked like the kid from Home Alone when I was younger. “

Conrad also said, “ I liked how Kevin would outsmart the adults in the movie.” 

Sophomore Tristen Townsend also agreed to say, “I think Home Alone is my favorite Christmas movie. It’s funny and very entertaining. My family loves to watch it every year.”

Frank Hughes, a sophomore, said,  “I’ll have to say my favorite Christmas movie is Home alone. I think it is a cool movie and it is funny. ”

Freshman Trent Nale had a different movie that was his favorite. “My favorite Christmas movie is Scrooged. It’s a family tradition we watch yearly, and I love that. I think the movie is hilarious and entertaining.”

Scrooged was released in 1988. At the time, it was a modern take on Dickens classic, A Christmas Carol, written in 1843. In the movie Scrooged, Bill Murray plays Frank Cross, a business executive who has lost his sense of self and family and is consumed with work. Just like the classic Cross is visited by the ghosts of Christmas past, present, and future.

Another Christmas classic is How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Originally written by Dr. Seuss in 1957, the book became a cartoon classic in 1966. The cartoon movie and book feature the Grinch, who lives in the mountains above Whoville.  The Grinch is annoyed by the residents of Whoville and their Christmas cheer. He tries to destroy Christmas by taking all of their gifts and decorations.

He learns on Christmas morning, when the town is singing and happy because they still have each other, that Christmas is not about gifts; it’s about family and friends.

In 2000, Jim Carrey brought the Grinch and the residents of Whoville to life in his movie, How the Grinch Stole Christmas. In this comical version, the town of Whoville is everything you could have imagined it would be, with its overtop architecture and holiday decorations.  Jim Carrey plays a perfect Grinch.

Freshman Ashlyn Miller said, “My favorite Christmas movie is the Grinch. It is funny how the Grinch acts and reminds me of some people I know. It reminds me of how some people act. It’s a fun Christmas movie for people to watch and get a good laugh.”

Another Christmas classic is National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation. Released in 1989, Christmas Vacation follows Clark Griswald’s (Chevy Chase) quest for the perfect family Christmas. This humorous movie shows just how stressful an ideal Christmas can be.

Junior Mavrick Sutton said, “My favorite Christmas movie of all time would be Christmas Vacation. It is such a funny movie to watch and has a lot of great scenes. It reminds me of how my family is during the holidays and how chaotic it gets. I watch this movie often during Christmas because I can not get enough of the movie.”

So during this winter break, gather your friends and family and have a great time watching Christmas movies and making wonderful memories.