Lakeview National Honors Society Celebrates New Inductees in Ceremony

Marina Sanders, Reporter

On November 22, 2022, Lakeview High School welcomed their thirty five new inductees to the National Honors Society. NHS recognizes students who have demonstrated exemplary scholarship, leadership, service, and character. Membership is a prestigious honor, highly regarded by colleges and the community. Selection to the National Honors Society is a privilege, not a right. It’s a national organization open to all juniors and seniors. To get into the National Honors Society, students need to be eligible 3.5 gpa or higher. Once you are eligible, in early October you need to write a letter of recommendation for yourself and you need one written about you. Once you have all of them, you submit them and wait.

In early November, the returning members of NHS go around the school and “tap in” the new inductees with a blue flower.

The new members were tapped-in by the returning National Honor Society members many weeks prior. Those new members, including seniors and juniors, are Christopher Ashburn, Zoe Baker, Andrew Brown, Daylen Chapman, Dylan Clements, Ellie Davies, Matthew DeProfio, Elizabeth Fazekas, Gianna Ferraro, Ethan Gavitt, Ryan Gee, Brett Gottfried, Joshua Hudson, Emerson Hyde, Elisa Kotsatos, Jaden Kropp, Mason Littleton, Antonio Malone, Lily McCarthy, Andrew McRoberts, Andrew Miller, Saige Muresan, Lauren Niemi, Aidan O’Rourke, Jack Peterson, Ethan Probst, Luke Rider, Marina Sanders, Matthew Seikal, Kyle Senkowitz, Ashley Solis, Jacob Spencer, Abigail Sulc, and Makenna Werner. Congratulations to all the new members!

NHS is very well-respected and speaks to a student’s academic success, community involvement, leadership skills, and overall high character. The more active role a student takes in the National Honor Society, the more benefits they can gain from their involvement in it.

Junior Ellie Davies says, “It was really cool how the school watched and was involved. I hope it helps inspire younger students to work hard and keep their grades up so when they are juniors and seniors, they can get into the National Honors Society.

The faculty members and students were all gathered together in the auditorium and watched as the students’ names were announced as they got officially inducted into NHS. After the ceremony, the parents and National Honor Society members gathered in the cafeteria for refreshments and snacks.

Another good thing about the National Honors Society is that it looks great on college applications. Colleges see it as a great asset if you were in the NHS. It will help round out your application and demonstrate that you earned good grades and participated in your community.

Junior Kyle Senkowitz, a new member of the National Honors Society states that, “I was very excited to be accepted into the National Honors Society. I was however nervous to walk in front of the entire school. I think the NHS is a good program that helps a lot of students.”

Lakeview High school and its students in the National Honors Society are well integrated in the community. The students put in many well earned hours of community service and help make the community better. From soup kitchens to food drives, the National Honor Society members will be there to help.

Junior Emerson Hyde says, “National Honors Society is a good thing to be a part of. I love helping out in my community and helping others. The ceremony that was held at the school was also fun but scary at the same time.”

Students will continue to work hard and be leaders and hope to help encourage the underclassmen to work hard and get better grades. Congratulations once again to all the new and even old members of the National Honors Society. Your hard work is appreciated!