Take Me Out to the … Backyard? Senior Athletes Missing Out On Final Season

Madison Harvey, Reporter

Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, spring athletes at every high school are currently missing out on a large part of their season. While this is sad news for all of Lakeview’s 137 spring athletes, it is heartbreaking for the 17 seniors.

The Coronavirus has been affecting spring athletes for awhile now. The day before Senior Liam Boivin was expected to leave to compete at the New Balance National Meet, it was cancelled. As heartbreaking as that was for Boivin, he still had his outdoor track season to look forward to at that point. However, that quickly changed when both school and sports were cancelled for three weeks.  Boivin continued to do his best to stay in shape with the possibility of getting to run his senior year still alive. As those three weeks were extended into another month off school, sports, and all social gatherings, Boivin and others have had to come to terms with giving up their favorite activities in order to keep our entire population safe.

Boivin added, “I feel like my senior season was robbed from me. I am even more excited now to run in college because it gives me another opportunity to continue to do what I love.” 

Senior Marissa Zoccali is missing out on her final softball season. She has been playing since she was 5 alongside seniors Madison Harvey and Laura Garvin. At one point in her high school career, Zoccali had high hopes of playing in college; however, injuries got in the way of that dream. Healed from her injuries, Zoccali is still an exceptional high school player who has competed at the varsity level since freshman year.

When asked what she will miss most about softball, Zoccali answered, “One of the things I’m going to miss most of all is all of the friendships I have developed over the past four years.”

Senior Matthew McRoberts had high hopes for Lakeview’s baseball team that was in a good competitive position this year, “I was really excited to see where the season would take us this year. We didn’t lose a ton of seniors, so we had a lot of young guys with varsity experience coming back.” 

Other seniors had hoped to achieve personal goals this season.

Senior runner Ethan Lewis said, “I’m 30 seconds away from reaching my goal in the 1600.

Senior boys tennis player John Silbaugh had the goal to “Get to state” in singles or doubles.

Most spring athletes are doing their best to put everything in perspective.

Senior runner Nathan Woofter is doing his best to stay positive, “I had big goals for my last season, but I know that high school athletics will not be the end of my running career.” 

None of the sports seasons have been completely cancelled and there are many people working hard to come up with an alternative season. Lakeview is projected to go back to school May 4th allowing sports to begin again that day. Until the, seniors are working to stay in top condition for their sport.

Senior softball outfielder Madison Stredney has been, “Keeping in shape by running and doing at home workouts.” 

Senior softball first and second base player Laura Garvin has been, “Working out and throwing to keep my arm loose.” 

One day the stands will be full again, the crowds will cheer again, and the sun will shine again on Lakeview sports. Until then, head on out to your own backyard and “Play Ball!”